Braised Beef with Red Wine and Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup pancetta, diced, about 8 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into large chunks
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock, or beef stock
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh whole mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can peeled plum tomatoes
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, remove leaves from stem
- Preheat oven to 350o F.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Pat dry the pieces of chuck roast and season with salt and pepper. Brown meat on all sides in the oil; then transfer to a plate.
- Add the pancetta to Dutch oven and lightly brown. Add the garlic, onions, carrots and mushrooms; stir to combine. Cook until onions are translucent. Place the meat back into the Dutch oven.
- Add the wine and cook for several minutes reduce the liquid by half, stirring occasionally. Add the thyme, bay leaves, tomatoes, tomato paste and stock. Bring to a boil and then cover.
- Place Dutch oven in the oven and cook about 2½ to 3 hours or until meat is fork tender. Remove from oven and garnish with parsley.