Fish tacos 'Ensenada' (Tacos de Pescado Ensenada)
- flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juice only
- ½ lime, juice only
- 300g/10½oz plain flour
- 2 chipotles en adobo, finely chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- 600g/1lb 5oz cod fillet, preferable Icelandic, cut into chunks
- 1 green serrano or jalapeno chilli, finely chopped
- 275ml/9½fl oz ice-cold lager
- 3 tbsp soured cream
- hot chilli sauce
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ small white cabbage, finely shredded
- handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 12 corn tortillas
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 litre/1¾ pints corn or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
To make the chipotle crema, mix the ingredients together with a pinch of salt in a small bowl and set aside.
To make the salsa, mix all the ingredients together with ½ teaspoon of salt in a small bowl, and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan to 190C (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended).
To make the batter, sift 200g/7oz of the flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and the baking powder into a large bowl. Whisk in the lager until smooth. Tip the remaining100g/3½oz flour into a small bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
In batches, coat the fish in the seasoned flour, shake off the excess, then dip into the batter. Fry each piece for 2–3 minutes, until crisp and golden-brown. Repeat until all the fish is cooked. Drain each batch on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Warm the tortillas in a dry frying pan, microwave or oven.
Serve the fish immediately in the warm tortillas, with the cabbage, avocado, salsa and sauces on the side.