Healthy slow cooker chicken
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 skinless, bone in chicken thighs
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 leek, thickly sliced
- 400g potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 tsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tsp finely grated garlic
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 350ml hot chicken stock
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tbsp finely grated zest from an unwaxed lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Season the chicken and fry for 6–8 minutes until browned all over. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a slow cooker.
- Roughly mash half of the beans with a potato masher, add to the chicken and stir well.
- Add the onion, parsnip, celery, carrots, leek and potatoes to the frying pan and stir-fry over a high heat for 6–8 minutes, until lightly coloured all over. Add the ginger, mustard and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute more, then spoon the vegetable mixture, with the remaining beans, over the chicken in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the tomato purée into the stock and pour into the slow cooker with the tarragon and lemon zest, cover with the lid and cook on high for 3–3½ hours until the chicken is tender. To serve, garnish with chopped tarragon.