- 0.5 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 3 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
- 125ml milk
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 25g self raising flour
- 125g golden syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 60g butter
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin. Pre-heat oven to 170c/gas mark 3. I've got a fan oven to I set mine to 160c.
- Put butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat.
- Sift both flours, the soda and the spices into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt , give it a good stir, then add the egg and milk mixing until smooth. Gradually add the melted butter/syrup mix, stirring until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55mins (fan oven I would say 40-45mins) until risen and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tin for 5mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.