Kozani chicken with prunes, saffron and paprika
- 6 turns black peppermill
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- pinch of Kozani saffron (or Spanish)
- 1½ tbsp sweet paprika
- 20 pitted prunes
- 8 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Put the chicken thighs in a large saucepan with 1 litre/1¾ pint water and the saffron. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and poach for 10–15 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat and sweat the onion gently until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the paprika, cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken thighs, about 700ml/1¼ pint of the cooking liquid and the prunes. Season with the salt and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes, until heated through.
- If the sauce is very watery, remove the chicken, prunes and onions with a slotted spoon and keep warm while you reduce down the sauce, so that you have a small amount to spoon over each portion.
- Serve with pilaf rice