Parmesan French toast
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced, for garnishing (optional)
- 1 large free-range egg
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp full-fat milk
- 2 slices white sourdough bread (see recipe tip)
- ½ tsp olive oil
- flatleaf parsley, for sprinkling (optional)
- Whisk the egg, Parmesan, paprika, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and milk together in a shallow dish that the slices of bread will fit in.
- Sit the bread in this mixture for about 2 minutes each side, pressing down on it every now and again. You want the slices to be soaked through and softened, but not falling to pieces. Spoon any remaining egg mixture over.
- When the bread is soaked, warm the butter and oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Once the butter is beginning to bubble, fry the bread for about 2 minutes each side – keep a good eye on it – until it is cooked through with patches of golden-brown on the surface.
- Remove from the pan, and eat just as it is, or sprinkle with chopped parsley and thinly sliced spring onion, if desired.